I attended Melbourne University for my medical training and completed basic and advanced training with The Royal Australian College of Surgeons and the Australian Orthopaedic Association. I graduated in January 2009.
Following the completion of my specialist Orthopaedic training I worked Full time as a Trauma Surgeon at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and have also had extra training and expertise in hip and knee joint replacement and deformity correction both in Melbourne and overseas. I travelled overseas to gain expertise in hip and knee arthroplasty with Professor Robert Bourne (Ontario, Canada), a world expert in the specialised area of joint replacement of the hip and knee.
I completed a fellowship with Mr. John Bartlett (Australia) Knee Surgeon; additionally a fellowship with Professor Leo Donnan at the Children’s Hospital, Melbourne which included extensive training in utilising external frames to correct limb deformity and utilising the ilizarov deformity correction technique.
I currently have an appointment with The Royal Melbourne Hospital where I have an active role in teaching training Medical staff and the on call trauma roster. My Private practice is based in Camberwell and I also consult in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. I am active teacher with the Swiss based organisation, the AO, both here in Australia and overseas.
I have a private practice that is based in Camberwell and I also consult in East Melbourne, Bundoora, and Heidelberg (Warringal).
Employment and past experience
- Current (Since 2011) – Orthopaedic consultant surgeon – The Royal Melbourne Hospital
- 2012 The Royal Children’s Hospital Orthopaedic Fellow – Limb deformity Fellowship under Mr Leo Donnan.
- 2010-2011 University Hospital, The University of Western Ontario, Canada Arthroplasty fellow.
- 2009- Commencement as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon.
- 2009-July 2010 The Royal Melbourne Hospital (trauma fellowship) -Full time Orthopaedic Surgeon – trauma.
- 2005 – 2008 Australian Orthopaedic training programme – During this time rotations through hospitals in Victoria and Tasmania were completed.
- 2006 – 2007 The University of Tasmania. Clinical Teacher.
- 2004 The Geelong Hospital, Geelong, Australia. Orthopaedic Registrar.
- 2002 – 2004 The Royal Melbourne Hospital. Resident Medical Officer.
- 2001 The Geelong Hospital. Geelong, Australia Resident Medical Officer (Intern)
- 2012 – Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Limb reconstruction fellow to Assoc. Prof Leo Donnan
- 2011 Warringal Private Hospital Fellow to Mr John Bartlett
- 2011 Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association, Travelling Fellowship. Bangkok and Singapore.
- 2010 – 2011 London, Ontario, Canada, Arthroplasty Fellow
- 2009 Royal Melbourne hospital, Trauma Fellow
- 2005 – 2008 Australian Orthopaedic Association training programme
- 2002 Royal Australian College of Surgeons. Australia. Basic Surgical Training.
- 2003 The University of Melbourne (private). Melbourne, Australia. Postgraduate Diploma in Surgical Anatomy
- 1994 – 2000 The University of Melbourne Medical School, MBBS.
- 1982 – 1993 Scotch College.
- AO Trauma – Faculty
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons –Regional branch committee member and ASSET teacher
- Department of Human Services – VICNISS Healthcare Associated Infection Surveillance System
2004 AO/ASIF Course Sydney, Australia.
- Principles of Operative Fracture Treatment
2004 Arthroscopic Surgery Skills Workshop
- Northern Clinical Skills Centre, Royal North Shore Hospital Sydney, Australia.
2005 Zimmer Cadaver Trauma Workshop
- Clinical Training and Education Centre, The University of Western Australia Perth, Australia.
2009 Baltimore Limb deformity Correction course
- 3rd annual Hip Joint Preservation and resurfacing Arthroplasty Course – September 4th and 5th.
- 19th Annual Baltimore Limb Deformity correction course – September 6th to 9th.
- Osteomyelitis and segmental Bone defects course – September 10th and 11th.
2010 Definitive Surgical Trauma Care – Epworth Hospital, Australia
2010 Wider scope of arthroscopy fellowship programme
- Smith and Nephew sponsored course, Boston USA.
2010 Birmingham Hip resurfacing, Masters course – London, Ontario, Canada
2011 Instructional hip arthroscopy course – Belbird Private hospital, Mr John O’Donnell
2012 AO Courses
- Advances Course – New Zealand
- Masters course – Switzerland
- Wayne Hoskins, Roger Bingham, Sam Joseph, Danny Liew, David Love, Andrew Bucknill, Andrew Oppy and Xavier Griffin. Subtrochanteric fracture: The effect of cerclage wire on fracture reduction and outcome, Injury, 2015-10-01, Volume 46, Issue 10, Pages 1992-1995
- Love D, Pritchard M, Burgess T, Van Der Meer G, Page R, Williams S. Audit of the Douglas Hocking Research Institute bone bank: ten years of non-irradiated bone graft. ANZ J Surg. 2009 Jan;79(1-2):55-61.
- Douglas F Johnson, David TT Love, Bruce RT Love, D. Kevin Lester. Dermal Hypoesthesia after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Am J Orthop. 2000; Nov, 29(11):836-6.
- D. Love, D. White and G. Kiroff. Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusion. 2003, ANZ journal of Surgery 73: 19-22.
- Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusion. Victorian annual and general scientific meeting, The Hughes room, Royal Australian College of Surgeons, Spring St, Melbourne. 21st June 2002. This paper was also presented by Mr. George Kiroff at the European Surgical Week, Lisbon, Portugal. June 2002.
- Dermal Hypoaesthesia after Total knee arthroplasty. This paper was presented by an alternate author at the Australian Orthopedic association meeting, October 2002, Melbourne Australia.
Presented at the Australian Orthopeadic registrars Association Conference, Rottnest Island, October 2005.
Presented at the Victorian AOA regional branch meeting, March 19, 2010.
- An Audit of the Douglas Hocking Research Institute Bone Bank. Tens Years of non-irradiated bone graft. Presented at the Victorian Regional Branch, Australian Orthopaedic Association Clinical Meeting, Friday 13 August 2004. Presented by alternate author, Dr. Michael Pritchard.
Presented at the 6th Annual Scientific and Business Meeting of the ATBF, Sydney Australia. April 28, 2005.
- Leg Length Audit- A radiological assessment of leg length difference after Total Hip Replacement. Presented at the Tasmanian Regional Branch meeting, Saturday the 15th of July, 2006
- Radiological progression of the lateral compartment of the knee following medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Presented at the Singapore Orthopaedic association October 2011
Prizes and Awards
- The Geoffrey Richards memorial prize for Physics, 1993. Scotch College.
- The Sutherland Award, The Australian Institute of Physics, for outstanding achievement in Physics, 1993.
- The Professors’ prize in Orthopaedics, 2000. St. Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne.
- Runner-up Orthopaedics prize, The University of Melbourne, 2000.
- General registration, Medical board of Australia.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- AOTrauma association.
- Scientific convener, 2007 Australia Orthopaedic registrars association meeting, Lorne, Victoria
- Epworth Freemasons, East Melbourne.
- Warringal Private Hospital, Heidelberg.
- North Park Private Hospital, Bundoora.
- Public appointment – The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville.